Many start-ups are looking to access global markets very early, and for several, their first entry market will not be Canada. Accessing emerging markets can be challenging due to significant differences in cultures and business environment and in some cases language barriers. These “born global” start-ups need help to overcome these common barriers to doing business abroad, such as accessing business networks and understanding the nuances of the local culture and political system.
YEDI has established partners around the globe who share a common goal of helping entrepreneurs create successful new businesses. We help start-ups gain access to global markets by facilitating introductions and fostering connections with local partners.
In addition, YEDI facilitates and leads country-specific business missions in order to familiarize entrepreneurs with the local ecosystem, open doors to potential customers, partners or investors; and help Canadian start-ups acclimatize to the local business and cultural environment.
YEDI accepts 15 entrepreneurs per Global Start-Up mission. A committee comprised of industry experts and partners will be responsible for evaluating applications based on set criteria.
GLOBAL START-UP MISSION
Selected entrepreneurs will participate in an intensive, two-week global entrepreneurship development program led by global business leaders and start-up founders. Throughout the program, entrepreneurs will meet with top leaders of the host country’s start-up ecosystem, visit global companies, unique start-ups; and meet with government officials responsible for the growth and development of SMEs.
*Airfare and accommodations not included
- Applicant is Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- The applicant is looking to:
- Immerse themselves in a selected global market through an exploratory visit which includes academic programming in partnership with local top-ranked universities;
- Develop strong business relationships that are only possible through sustained face-to-face interaction;
- Gain first-hand knowledge of the opportunity within that market; and
- Achieve tangible business goals in the selected global market outside of Canada and the U.S.A, such as: sales, investment, and strategic partnerships
Applications are now closed.